Of course I have to make a New Years post, not because it is simply the New Year but because I truly believe God has a lot in store for me in 2017. My church, LifeStone church in the South Side of Pittsburgh, does a special New Years Eve service. The service is called the “Name Your Year” service. This was the first one I got to attend because in the past I was always on Christmas break. Needless to say, it was inspiring.
In order to help us name our year my pastor asked us to answer four questions:
- What are you believing God for in 2017?
- What biblical promises are you standing on in 2017?
- What personal changes are you asking God to help you make this coming year?
- What word or phrase describes God’s work for you in 2017?
I want to lay out my answers. Mostly because it is a good way for me to visualize things, and because with someone else reading this I am being held accountable.
- I am believing in God for a couple things in 2017:
- An increase in finances, letting go of worry.
- A successful relocation somewhere that is closer to family.
- An increase of my sense of self-worth and/or self-esteem.
- An increase of God within my marriage.
- As for the biblical promises, I have already been circling a few verses that connect to this. But I think it’s important to highlight them again.
- Finances: “God will generously provide all you need. Then you will always have everything you need and plenty left over to share with others.” 2 Corinthians 9:8
- Relocation: There are multiple stories of relocation in the Bible. So I’m going to find one that I can really connect with and go from there. Possibly starting with the story of Jacob to Egypt, then reading up further on Moses.
- Self-worth: “I praise you because I am fearfully and wonderfully made; your works are wonderful, I know that full well.” Psalm 139:14
- Marriage: God has such a special design and purpose for marriage (read Genesis 2), so that seems like a good starting place. This is a topic that takes two, so it’s hard for me to state scripture, or what I will and won’t do because my husband plays a big role in this part as well.
- Personally, I want to be more disciplined in my time with God, my time in the gym and my diet. I will most definitely need the Lord’s help for this. I want to live a truly God first life. I believe that and discipline are very interconnected.
- At first I thought my phrase for 2017 would be “God first”, however after praying about it, I felt as if the Holy Spirit was putting the word “Increase” on my heart. So there you have it!
Here is to letting go and letting God. It’s cheesy, but it’s true. I don’t have the energy or time anymore to always be in control. But I know that as soon as I let go, God is going to start the changes– I need this.
Lastly, as an effort to focus more on my relationship with God and myself, I am taking a step away from social. I’ve deleted Snapchat and deactivated my Facebook. I don’t know what this means for my doTERRA business plan, but God will help me figure it out. I want to begin to be more introspective, so focusing on my blog more will do that.
What are you changing this year? I’d love to know!